Learn which plants are poisonous to cats.

If your cat has ever ingested a dangerous substance, you know how scary it can be. Luckily, most of these scary situations are preventable.

To help keep your cat safe, here is a list of some common plants that are known to be poisonous to cats.

Autumn Crocus: can cause an intense burning sensation in the mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, liver and kidney damage, or even heart arrhythmias. Although the entire plant is considered toxic to cats, the toxicity is highest in the bulbs.

Lilies: the tiger, day, Asiatic, Easter, and Japanese lilies are highly toxic to cats. One bite of a leaf, or even just the pollen from a plant in the lily family can cause lethargy and vomiting within 12 hours of ingestion. If not treated, your cat may go into kidney failure.

Corn Plant: (also known as cornstalk plant, dracaena, dragon tree or ribbon plant) contains saponin, which is toxic to cats. If the plant is ingested, vomiting (with or without blood), appetite loss, depression and/or increased salivation can occur. Affected cats may also have dilated pupils.

Azalea: even ingestion of just a few leaves of Azaleas can cause oral irritation with subsequent vomiting and diarrhea in cats. In severe cases, ingestion can cause a drop in blood pressure, coma and death.

Daffodil: although the entire plant is considered toxic to cats, it is the bulb that is the most toxic. Ingestion of any portion of a daffodil can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, arrhythmias, convulsions, and a serious drop in blood pressure.

Sago palm: also known as the Coontie Palm, or the Cardboard Palm, the Sago Palm is an extremely poisonous plant to cats. When ingested it can cause bloody vomiting and diarrhea, bleeding disorders, liver failure and death.

Aloe: (also known as medicine plant or Barbados aloe) is a common succulent containing aloin, a substance toxic to cats. The bitter yellow substance is found in most aloe species and may cause vomiting and/or reddish urine.

If you suspect your pet has ingested any of the plants above, call your veterinarian immediately. Do not wait to see if symptoms appear, because in some cases of poisoning, by the time symptoms appear it is too late to save the animal.

Please follow and like us: