As a responsible pet owner, it’s crucial you know that birds are fragile creatures in a human’s world. They are susceptible to many of the things they can come into contact with in your home.

To ensure your pet bird stays out of harm’s way, read on for some of the dangers that may be lurking.

Poison control
There are a wide range of substances that can be quite harmful to your bird. They include:

  • Insecticides
  • Bleach
  • Ammonia
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover
  • Perfume
  • Paint
  • Oven cleaner

A bird can become extremely ill or even die by ingesting or inhaling these toxic substances. Keep your pet bird away from them by storing these items properly and by exercising caution while using any chemicals.

Standing water
Of course, your pet bird needs water, like all other living things; however, standing water can be dangerously attractive. Birds are inquisitive creatures and like to explore. If your bird has access to standing water, it’s a sure bet he is going to investigate, which can lead to him falling in and drowning.

To prevent accidental drowning, make sure all standing water is properly secured. Close your toilet seat lids and make sure sinks and other basins aren’t left unsupervised when they’re filled with water.

Non-stick coatings
You may love cooking on pans that have a non-stick coating, but, believe it or not, this coating can be extremely toxic for birds. If you overheat this cookware, the coating can emit toxic fumes, which could cause death for your bird.

Cookware isn’t the only thing that contains this substance; waffle irons, curling irons, clothing irons and blow dryers are also sprayed with this coating. Be cautious when using them and don’t allow them to overheat.

Electrical cords
Birds often use their beaks to explore, but this can pose certain risks at home. Electrical cords can be very dangerous if your bird or parrot nibbles on a wire. Keep cords away from his cage and conceal or cover them with corrugated plastic tubing to prevent electrocution.