It’s a challenge to teach your dog not to pull on his leash when he’s busy exploring the sights, sounds and smells of the outdoors. But it’s possible with consistent training. The next time Fido pulls ahead to explore, use these techniques to teach him leash manners.
Method 1: Stop and Go
- When your dog starts to pull, stop walking and wait.
- When he stops, praise him then move on.
- Repeat this every time he pulls on the leash and he’ll eventually learn that pulling will keep him from walking.
Method 2: About Face
- With this method, your dog’s pulling will have you making an about face.
- When your dog starts pulling, turn around and walk back from where you came. Let the leash check your dog (gently). Continue reading