You might know your cat and her favorite things, but how much do you really know about cats in general? Here are a few fun feline facts that might surprise you:
- Cats do not have sweat glands, except in their tongues and the pads of their feet.
- A cat can jump as much as seven times its height.
- Cats have five toes on each front paw, but only four toes on each back paw.
- Cats have more than one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
- A pack of kittens is called a kindle, while a pack of adult cats is called a clowder.
- An adult cat can run about 12 miles per hour and can sprint at nearly 30 miles per hour.
- A cat’s tongue is scratchy because it’s lined with papillae—tiny elevated backwards hooks that help to hold prey in place. Continue reading