Reptiles have a variety of habitats, so you’ll need some help making your reptile’s home, depending on the species you’ve chosen for a pet. At Pet Supermarket, we can provide you with the advice and supplies to make your reptile feel secure and comfortable.
- Housing —Most reptiles will need a cage with a secure lid, proper lighting, heat rock or lamp, light source, and water. Reptiles also benefit from natural elements incorporated into their cages, such as sticks or branches to climb and water to soak in, when appropriate. We carry the highest quality housing and supplies needed to create the right cage or tank for your reptile.
- Bedding —Some reptiles, like certain snakes, require a substrate, or bedding, in their cages. We carry a variety of bedding products, such as cedar and pine shavings, to make your reptile comfy.
- Sanitation —It is very important to keep your reptile’s cage clean. Harmful bacteria develop in unsanitary cages, leading to unpleasant odors and health problems for your reptile. Changing the bedding and removing old food and water will help keep your reptile healthy.
- Temperature —Environmental temperature is critical to reptiles. Most may need temperatures between 80° and 88ºF, but depending on the animal, the best temperature may lie within a two to four degree range. For many species, a time-controlled programmable thermostat that changes from day to night will help to ensure that your pet stays healthy. Depending on the animal you select, you will need the proper equipment to adequately control the temperature. At Pet Supermarket, we can help you find what you need to keep your reptile warm and cozy.
- Ventilation —Your reptile’s tank or terrarium should have a cover that provides good airflow. Do not cover the aquarium with a combination light/reflector hood or glass cover since this will significantly reduce ventilation. A screen top makes a good cover for a reptile habitat. It can allow for good ventilation, provide good transfer of heat and lighting, and can keep your reptile safe and secure. Glass covers do not make good tops as they do not allow for proper ventilation.
Remember: Pet Supermarket’s associates are always available to answer your questions and help you choose the products you’ll need for your reptile friend.