With spring comes warmer weather and more time enjoying the outdoors. It also brings flea season, when pet families everywhere fight to keep these pests from invading their homes.
Thankfully, a variety of products can help us win the fight against fleas. Here are a few tips to keep fleas and ticks off your pets:
- Since the life cycle of a flea can last 2 weeks or more, the flea population can resurge in your home. Clean carpeting, floors and pet bedding often.
- Fleas can stay cocooned in the “pupae” stage for weeks and will only emerge when they sense a warm-blooded heat source nearby. This is why you might see more fleas after you return from vacation or move into a new home.
- Break the flea and tick life cycle with treatments you can use on your pet or “spot-on” treatments.
- Spot-on treatments kill fleas on your pet and can also keep new eggs from hatching. Top brands we carry include Frontline, Advantage, and Adams. Treatments that attack eggs include Adams Plus, Frontline Plus, Advantage II, Advantix II, and Fiproguard Plus.
- Be consistent with your pet’s spot-on treatment. We recommend re-applying it every month.
- Bathing your pet with a flea shampoo can reduce the effect of a spot-on treatment. Instead, use shampoos like Bioguard, Nature’s Chemistry Triple or Tropiclean (except the Neem formula).
- Don’t use dog flea treatments on cats or vice versa! This could be harmful to your pet.
- For rabbits, ferrets or other small animals, talk to your veterinarian before choosing a flea treatment.
With the right tools and a consistent strategy, you’ll be armed to win the war against fleas and ticks! Start with dog flea control or cat flea control products from Pet Supermarket.