February is Wild Bird Feeding Month. Here are some ideas to welcome birds into your yard:
- Install attractive feeders, nesting houses, and water supplies.
- Check to see which birds are native to your area, and provide their favorite food.
- Make sure to keep feeders and water sources clean, in order to reduce disease. And don’t forget to refill them often!
- Be mindful of any pesticides that are used around your bird feeders; many are toxic.
- Keep kitty indoors, or make sure your feeders are kitty-proof.
- Lastly, install decals or non-reflective film to any plate glass windows or doors you may have, to protect the birds from collisions with the glass.
Soon you’ll be enjoying the beauty of these birds in your own backyard!