The holiday season is a time for visiting family, enjoying special meals and giving gifts to human and canine friends. But holiday food and décor can also pose extra dangers for your dog. Avoid a trip to the veterinarian by following these tips.
- Holiday food can be harmful to dogs. Don’t overindulge Fido with turkey skin, ham fat or other fatty foods, which could lead to stomach upset and pancreatitis. Turkey bones can puncture intestines and should be avoided as well.
- Reduce temptation for your dog. Avoid leaving food on an unsupervised table and keep a secure lid on the garbage can full of scraps.
- Some holiday plants cause toxicity or upset stomachs. Keep Poinsettias, holly, mistletoe and hibiscus out of reach.
- Got a box of chocolates? Keep them away from your dog. Dark chocolate is especially harmful.
- Sugarless candy with Xylitol is also very toxic for dogs and can cause liver failure.
- Don’t leave gifts that might include candy under the tree or on a bed.
- Never give your dog beverages with alcohol, which could cause respiratory and cardiac distress.
- Keep lit menorahs and holiday candles out of reach.
- Water in a Christmas tree stand can have harmful preservatives, pine needles and bacteria.
- Holiday decorations, including ornaments, tinsel, garland, lights and other small items can pose choking or electrical hazards.
A houseful of visitors, loud noises and extra food can all cause a stressful situation for your doggie. Give him quiet space if he needs it and follow these tips for a safe and enjoyable holiday. Just don’t forget to tell grandpa to ignore the begging doggy eyes under the table.
This holiday give your dog healthy treats and interactive toys from Pet Supermarket.