While cats groom themselves often, they still need help with regular brushing or combing to keep their coats clean and healthy. Learning the proper way to brush your cat will not only help maintain her health, but will also help you boost your bond and earn her trust.
Before you begin, choose a time when your cat is relaxed and you are calm, since she may pick up any nervousness or dread you feel. Then follow these tips:
- Using a fine-toothed comb, work through her fur from head to tail to remove debris. Work gently on her chest and abdomen.
- Brush in the same direction the fur grows.
- Then use a bristle or rubber brush to remove the undercoat or shedding hair.
- Brush your cat once a week for best results.
- Work through her coat with a wide-toothed comb, starting with her legs and abdomen first, to remove debris and untangle any knots.
- Then use a bristle or rubber brush to brush her fur in an upwards motion.
- When brushing her tail, part her fur down the middle and brush it to either side.
- If you find a knot, sprinkle talcum powder on it and try working it loose with your fingers.
- It’s important to brush long-haired cats daily to prevent tangles.
While grooming, check your cat for wounds, bumps, fleas or ticks. Also, don’t forget to praise and reward her afterwards for behaving! Regular grooming and care will strengthen your bond with your cat and can become an enjoyable experience for you both. Pet Supermarket’s collection of cat grooming products will provide the tools you need for the loving care of your cat.