You might know your cat and her favorite things, but how much do you really know about cats in general? Here are a few fun feline facts that might surprise you:
- Cats do not have sweat glands, except in their tongues and the pads of their feet.
- A cat can jump as much as seven times its height.
- Cats have five toes on each front paw, but only four toes on each back paw.
- Cats have more than one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
- A pack of kittens is called a kindle, while a pack of adult cats is called a clowder.
- An adult cat can run about 12 miles per hour and can sprint at nearly 30 miles per hour.
- A cat’s tongue is scratchy because it’s lined with papillae—tiny elevated backwards hooks that help to hold prey in place.
- The nose pad of each cat has ridges in a unique pattern, not unlike a person’s fingerprints.
- Cats have better hearing than dogs – up to 60,000 hertz.
- Cats’ bodies are extremely flexible; the cat skeleton contains more than 230 bones (a human has about 206), and the pelvis and shoulders loosely attach to the spine. This adds to their flexibility and allows them to fit through very small spaces.
- Cats have better memories than dogs. Tests conducted by the University of Michigan showed that while a dog’s memory lasts no more than 5 minutes, a cat’s can last as long as 16 hours—exceeding even that of monkeys and orangutans.
Your cat is a remarkable animal with sharp senses and fine muscle control. Keep her healthy and happy with cat food and supplies from Pet Supermarket.