Have you seen a hamster with bulging cheeks? They love to hoard food in their cheek pouches and might even use them to carry nesting material. Keep reading for some more interesting facts.
Did you know?
- Hamsters stuff their cheeks to hoard food for later or to carry material from one area to another.
- Since a hamster’s cheek pouches don’t have salivary glands, they can keep food dry and fresh.
- The pouches have rough-textured skin lining the inside. This helps keep food from moving or falling out.
- A hamster may not have the sense to keep from overstuffing his cheeks. Don’t feed him anything sharp or sticky to avoid problems.
- The skin lining a hamster’s cheeks can be scratched and develop an infection or abscess. If this happens, it should be treated by a vet.
- Hamsters should be checked regularly to make sure their teeth are wearing down properly through chewing.
Visit Pet Supermarket for your hamster’s favorite treats!