Does Fido accept house guests easily? Holiday events and house guests will be here before you know it, so it’s a good time to prepare.
Here are a few tips to help Fido accept guests with less stress:
- Provide a safe area: Your dog should have a quiet area he can escape to if he’s overwhelmed by noise and foot traffic. In a separate room, set up an area with his food, water bowl, toys and cozy dog bed.
- Stick to the schedule: Holidays can be hectic, but your dog will be less stressed if you stick to his regular schedule for feeding, playtime, etc.
- Offer guests dog treats: We’re not suggesting you add dog treats to the holiday menu, but a few extra treats for Fido wouldn’t hurt. Let a few guests offer him treats (under your supervision). It won’t lead to instant friendship, but may break the ice.
- Mind those door manners: Does your dog follow “sit” and “stay” commands? Treat him when he sits and stays calmly at the door before you open it to visitors.
- Pay attention to the little ones: If child visitors want to pet and play with Fido, show them how your dog likes to be pet and which toys or treats to use. Also, make sure they’re supervised at all times. Continue reading