Think you know hamsters? Test your knowledge with these interesting facts:
- Hamsters got their name from the German word hamstern, which means “to hoard or store up.”
- Hamsters have a great sense of smell, but not great eyesight.
- Hamsters can learn to recognize their names if you speak to them often enough.
- A mother hamster can give birth to 24 babies, although eight or ten is more common.
- Baby hamsters are called puppies.
- There are three main types of pet hamsters: short-haired Syrian (or golden) hamsters; long-haired Syrian, also called teddy bear hamsters; and dwarf hamsters, which include Roborovski, Djungarian, Siberian, and Chinese hamsters.
- Roborovski dwarf hamsters are the smallest and can grow to 3 inches long.
- Syrian hamsters are territorial and will fight if kept together. Dwarf hamsters can live together, but only in same-sex pairs that were raised together.
Visit your Pet Supermarket store for all you hamster care needs.